Chicken sotanghon is a delicious chicken noodle soup served as a comfort food, or when you’re feeling a bit under the weather. The use of vermicelli noodles, and atsuete or annatto seeds makes this dish an interesting one to make. Make this one at home, kabano!
- ½ kilo Chicken Breast, boiled and torn into strips
- 2 tbsp Garlic, chopped
- ½ cup Onion, chopped
- 3 cups Chicken Stock (from boiling chicken breast)
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Carrots, julienned
- ½ cup Wood-Ear Mushroom, sliced (other types of mushrooms may be substituted)
- 200 grams Vermicelli Noodles
- 1 cup Annatto Water
- ¼ cup Green Onions, chopped
- ¼ cup Fish sauce
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- Prepare the Annatto water by combining 2 tbsp of annatto seeds in 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes or until the water is changed to an orange color. Strain the annatto-infused water through a strainer and set aside.
- In a deep pot, heat oil and sauté your garlic and onion over medium heat until fragrant. Add in the chicken breast, carrots and mushrooms. Toss and cook for 3-5 minutes for flavor development.
- Pour in the chicken stock and water and let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the annatto water and vermicelli noodles. Season it with fish sauce, salt, and pepper and let it simmer for 10 more minutes before cutting the heat.
- Serve and top with green onions and hard-boiled egg.
Watch the recipe video here:
Chris Urbano is excited to share with you his upcoming cookbook! If you want to grab a copy, email email@example.com .
Don’t forget to subscribe to the channel if you like this video, and give us a thumbs up!
Follow us on Social Media for more Filipino Food Updates
Get the recipe – http://maputingcooking.com/recipe/okoy/
Get the newsletter: http://eepurl.com/PZeAH