Fried Chicken always traces back with the Americans. It is known as one of their comfort foods. It even correlates with the African Americans during the Prohibition Era, where they were not allowed to raise expensive meats but only chickens. Maybe this is why you can get the most delicious fried chicken in the southern parts of the U.S.
Here in the Philippines, the “Chicken Joy” from Jollibee is the most popular fried chicken that all ages love. This is not a paid advertisement or anything. But who would contradict this statement? Every time you would step inside Jollibee, you can already smell the fried goodness of their Chicken Joy. Try asking kids what they love about Jollibee, and 100% sure answer is their Chicken Joy!
A good standard for a fried chicken is it should have a crunchy and crisp battered chicken skin with a moist, juicy and tender meat inside. I think I am getting a Chicken Joy after I complete this article, or maybe NOW.
Or with the help of Maputing Cooking Chris Urbano you can make your own kaligayahan ng manok version with this simple and easy steps. You can also watch the video here : https://goo.gl/cnH8by
See ingredients and procedure below.
Good For: 6-8 People
- 2 kilos Chicken, preferably thighs and drumstick
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Pepper
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Five Spice Powder or Ngo Hiong (Star Anise, Cinnamon, Clove, Fennel, Peppercorns)
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 piece Egg, beaten
- 3 Tbsp Water
- As needed Cooking Oil (Vegetable Oil, Palm Oil or Canola Oil)
- Pat dry the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Make the breading. Mix together the flour, cornstarch, five spice powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. On a separate bowl, beat the egg and add in the water to thin it.
- Dredge the chicken in the breading mixture and make sure everything is covered. Shake off the excess breading. Dip it in the egg mixture and throw it back to the flour mixture. We do the double breading process.
- Heat up your oil to 350F. Gently drop the chicken one by one and make sure it is immersed in the oil. Do not overcrowd the pan. Maybe 3-4 pieces is enough per batch.
- Fry it for 15 to 20 minutes over medium flame. Be patient, we do not want aw meat inside.
- Once done, place it over a rack to drain excess oil.
- Serve it up with your favorite Gravy or just plain Ketchup.