A very festive Christmas won’t be complete without a big serving of Crema de Fruita. Creamed Fruit as they say, this layered dessert will always be a crowd pleaser in any party you will attend to.
Crema de Fruita is composed of 4 layers, the fruits, the cake, the custard and the gelatin that seals everything in place. Often times, Filipinos use the readily available canned fruit cocktail in making this. There are a lot of variations for this, there is the no bake, which uses graham crackers or lady fingers (Broas), the fresh fruit kind (peaches, kiwi, grapes etc), and the all purpose cream where the cream is mixed with the condensed milk because it’s a lot easier than making the real custard.
Some Tips :
*You may use lady fingers “Broas” or graham crackers for an instant version of it. Just soak it in the syrup first before laying it on the pan.
*You can use any fresh fruits that are in season to replace the canned fruit cocktail.
*All Purpose Cream that is sweetened with condensed milk can be used instead of making the pastry cream.
- Sponge Cake
- Fresh Fruits Mango / Strawberries
- Flavored Jam
- Dessert Wine Here I used All Saints Rutherglen Muscadelle
- For the Custard
- 1 ¾ cups Milk
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ⅓ cup Cornstarch
- ½ cup White sugar
- 4 pieces Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Buy your favorite sponge cake
- For the Pastry Cream: Mix the egg yolks, half of the sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat the milk and remaining sugar in a pot until simmering. Pour ⅓ of the hot milk over the yolk mixture making sure to constantly mix it to avoid curdling. Pour the rest of the milk and mix.
- Bring the mixture back into the pot and mix until thick. Add in the butter and vanilla. Cover with cling wrap and let it cool.
- Slice and Divide the cake into layers
- Spread your choice of flavored jam
- For the first layer brush the cake with dessert wine till it absorbs
- Add Pastry cream and lay fruit on top
- Repeat process until you reach top layer of the bowl. Refrigerate after.
- Once set, the Crema de Fruita is ready to serve.
Enjoy and have a Merry Merry Christmas mga kabano!
If you like this recipe please share and Subscribe to our Youtube Channel Here. .
Chris Urbano / Maputing Cooking is a Tagalog Speaking Australian Chef on a mission to bring Filipino Food Global. Filipinos and food conisseurs can find Filipino food recipes, filipino cooking tips and the latest Filipino food news and trends from around the world here at Maputing Cooking.