Tortang Talong can also be called as Eggplant Omelet or Eggplant Fritters. It is a very simple dish consisting of few ingredients but will always reminds us of home. There is a lot of version for Tortang Talong. Some add in meat and potatoes for a more festive approach and some just the plain eggplant and of course the eggs. It has 2 steps in cooking, the roasting of the eggplant and the omelet making itself. This is best served with catsup.
*You can add ground meat and potatoes when making the omelet. Some even add their left over giniling or menudo dish to elevate the taste.
*It is best to cook it one by one to ensure the shape plus it is easy to cook.
*Remember to always toast the edges. It adds a unique toasted taste that this dish only has.
- 8 pieces Eggplant
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 whole Smoked Bangus (Tinapang Bangus), flaked
- 1 piece Potato, diced
- 1 piece Carrot, diced
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- 1 piece Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 6 pieces Eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup Water
- As needed Cooking Oil
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- Roast the Eggplant over coals or gas stove until the skin is charred. Let it cool and peel off the skin. Set it aside.
- In a pan, heat the oil and sauté the garlic and onion. Add in the potatoes and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in the green peas and bell pepper until cooked. Fold in the flaked tinapa and set aside.
- On a bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a plate, lay one eggplant and mash the flesh. Make sure the stem will not be removed. Pour in ¼ cup of the beaten eggs and 2 tbsp of the tinapa mixture.
- Heat some oil in a pan and slide in the eggplant. Make sure to toast one side before flipping. Continue doing it with the remaining eggplant.
- Serve with rice.
Good For: 6-8 People
If you like this recipe please share and Subscribe to our Youtube Channel Here. .
Chris Urbano / Maputing Cooking is a Tagalog Speaking Australian Chef on a mission to bring Filipino Food Global. Filipinos and food conisseurs can find Filipino food recipes, filipino cooking tips and the latest Filipino food news and trends from around the world here at Maputing Cooking.