Bicol is known for its spicy and gata/coconut milk dishes. One of the best gata based dishes they offer is Bicol Express. My recipe has lots of chili in it so prepare to have a burned tongue afterwards! (P.S you can always put more or less chili depending on how spicy you like your dish to be) Try this one at home!
- 1 kilo Pork Belly (Liempo) cut into cubes
- 5 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 whole Garlic, minced
- 1 medium Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Ginger, grated
- 3 Tbsp Shrimp paste
- 1 cup Coconut Cream
- 1 cup Water
- 2-3 pieces/According to your preference Red Chilies, chopped
- 4 pieces Green chilies, sliced
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- Boil liempo in 2 cups water until soft and water is completely evaporated. Add in the cooking oil and let the meat crisp up until golden brown.
- Sauté the garlic, onion and ginger until fragrant together with the crisp liempo. Add in the shrimp paste, coconut cream and water. Let it simmer.
- Follow the chilies and reduce the sauce until thick. Season to taste and top with the fresh green chilies.
Check the recipe video here:
Chris Urbano loves Filipino food and if you love it too, Don’t forget to subscribe! http://bit.ly/1AZnqao and share this video, or follow at the links below:
www.maputingcooking.com (Find ALL the recipes from the show!)
Get the newsletter: http://eepurl.com/PZeAH
Suggestions on new recipes we should cook? Please tell us and we’d definitely consider them! Have a great day ahead!