It’s patis and calamansi time!
Nilagang baka is the ultimate Filipino beef soup. Nilagang baka is perfect for rainy days! It’s easy how to cook nilagang baka, it just requires time to boil the beef and make it tender.
Nilagang baka is a delicious beef stew made with petsay, cabbages and other vegetables. It is one of the most common dishes that can be found in every part of the Philippines. Nilagang Baka is an everyday dish that can be found in almost all carinderias (small eatery) in the Philippines which is highly appreciated by everyone.
From the name itself Nilaga meaning boiled, Baka means beef in English, it takes several hours to cook this dish. The process of boiling makes the meat soft and tender. Beef brisket, short rib or beef shank would be an excellent choice for this dish, and of course, fresh vegetables must be added to make a perfect flavorful soup.
- Beef (beef sirloin/beef brisket/spare ribs)
- Sitaw (optional)
- Green beans
- Saba banana
- Salt & Pepper
- Combine water and salt in large cooking pot then bring to a boil.
- Add beef and let it simmer for 2-3 hours until becomes tender. Adding more water if necessary.
- Put in first the potato as it needs longer time to cook for around 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle half teaspoon of whole pepper and continue stirring.
- Add in the saba, cabbage, sitaw, green beans and pechay. Stir then let the pot stay with cover on for 2-5 minutes to cook the vegetables.
- Transfer on a serving bowl and enjoy!