This Escabeche Filipino recipe is made by frying a whole fish of Lapu-lapu or Red grouper or any kind of meaty fish, and topping it with sweet and sour sauce with vegetables. The dish Escabeche is a Spanish classic, a recipe that we may have acquired from time of Spanish colonies. Since then, Escabeche has always been on the table of Filipino fiesta and celebrations to put options from the many pork, beef, and chicken recipe available.
- 1 whole lapu-lapu, 1 – 1.2kg (cleaned and scaled)
- ½ cup (60 grams) flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cooking oil
- 2 tbsp (20 grams) garlic, chopped
- ½ cup (75 grams) white onion, sliced
- ¼ cup (40 grams) ginger, julienned
- ¼ cup (40 grams) carrots, julienned
- ¼ cup (40 grams) green bell pepper, julienned
- ½ whole pineapple, chopped (tinned pineapple may be substituted)
- ½ cup (120 ml) vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp (25 grams) cornstarch, dissolved in ¼ cup water (diluted cornstarch)
- to taste salt and pepper
- cooking oil as required
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Dredge it in flour and deep fry.
- Mix together the vinegar, water, brown sugar and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Heat up the pan with oil, saute the garlic and ginger.
- Put in the onion, carrots and the red and green bell peppers. Cook for a minute.
- Add the vinegar mixture from Step 2 and bring it to a boil. Do not stir until it comes to a boil.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch, stir and cook until the sauce becomes thick.
- Put the fried fish on a serving platter and pour the sauce on top.
- Serve with rice.
How do you like your fish cooked?
Try this Escabeche Recipe and let me know what you think.
Help us bring Filipino Food Global by sharing our recipes and videos 🙂